Content Template

Q: What does IES do to evaluate my academic work?
A: Evaluations are based on original, primary research done by colleagues in the field of applied comparative education who have specialized knowledge about the educational systems of other countries; research compiled by specialists in this area; the placement recommendations approved by the National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials; and evaluation and placement practices at higher education institutions in the United States. IES has been sponsoring and/or contributing to this body of research since the 1950's. The evaluation recommendations reflected in IES' evaluation report are in line with the general practices of knowledgeable university admissions offices and reputable foreign credential evaluation services in the United States.
In order to complete an evaluation, IES assembles a file including all your submitted documents. This file is assigned a unique identification number. An IES evaluator then examines the file and prepares a detailed report based on reference materials. The evaluator notes these resources in the report. In some cases, the report will be a "basic" statement of comparability. In other cases, a more complete evaluation called a "course-by-course" evaluation is prepared.
Q: What is the difference between a basic and course-by-course evaluation?
A: The basic statement determines only the level of comparability between your foreign education and U.S. education. The course-by-course includes the comparability level of your education and lists each of your courses along with the equivalent U.S. marks and credit. In most cases, a basic evaluation is suitable for employment purposes, university admission as a first year student or as a graduate student. A course-by-course is usually needed for students transferring to U.S. institutions with previous university-level study from outside the U.S. You should inquire with the final recipient of the evaluation as to what type of evaluation they will need to receive.
Q: Can IES evaluate any degree from any country?
A: Yes, IES evaluators have extensive experience and can evaluate educational documents from anywhere in the world.
Q: Is IES a U.S. government agency?
A: No, IES is a non-profit membership organization of college and university admission officers, and registrars.
Q: Is IES approved or accredited by the U.S. government or any other agency?
A: No, the U.S. government does not approve, or accredit foreign education evaluation services. There is no approval or accreditation by any organization of foreign education evaluation services.
Q: Can IES approve or accredit my institution?
A: IES does not accredit or approve institutions. The accreditation or approval process of institutions is one that originates in your home country by the Ministry of Education or other official accrediting or recognition body. IES will indicate the status of the institution, based on our evaluator's research, a key feature of the evaluation.
Q: How much do I pay for an IES evaluation?
A: The fee is $75 for a basic statement of comparability and $190 for a course-by-course evaluation.
Q: How do I know which type of evaluation to request?
A: You must contact the requesting agency/school/institution in order to find out which evaluation is required. Please note that if you choose the basic statement of comparability and then need to do a course by course, you will be required to pay the difference of $75 to change evaluation types.
Q: May I come to the IES office to fill out/drop off my application?
A: Our offices are located in a building with limited public access open. Furthermore, our evaluators are not located in the Washington, DC office and are therefore not available to speak you about neither your credentials nor your evaluation. We recommend you mail or use a courier service (FedEx, UPS , etc.) to send your applications to IES for evaluation. Also, please feel free to call or email us with questions.
Q: Will IES give me transfer credit?
A: No, we cannot. Only educational institutions can award credit. IES makes careful recommendations that an institution is free to accept or not, depending on its own policies but IES does not have the authority to grant credit(s).
Q: Are there additional fees if I submit more than one transcript with my application?
A: No, the fee does not increase if you submit more than one transcript. You are paying for the type of evaluation you are seeking, not by the number of documents you submit.
Q: Will IES evaluate my foreign high school education, even if I have not done further study?
A: Yes, you may receive a Basic Statement of Comparability for your high school education.
Q: May I pick up my evaluation report in your office or have it faxed to me?
A: Applicants may not pick up their evaluations in our office. Our offices are located in a building with limited public access open. We mail all completed evaluations on Verify First Technologies® paper in order for the user to know that they are receiving an original copy. It is for this reason that we also do not fax evaluations.
Q: How do I request an additional copy of my evaluation?
A: You must complete the Additional Evaluation Copy Request form. You can find this here. Once completed, you must submit the form via mail or fax. Once we receive and process your request, we mail additional copies. We mail additional copies from our office a weekly basis.
Q: Can I get copies of my evaluation after it is completed?
A: Yes, you must complete a form to do this and identify exactly where you want the copies sent. (Note: IES IES will maintain the credential evaluation report forever so copies will be available.)
Q: Why should I choose IES over another evaluation service?
A: Since its inception in 1910, AACRAO, a non-profit membership organization, has taken a leadership position in developing policies centered on the global educational community. IES is the focal point for resources on international education and exchange.  Professional evaluators, with an average of over 23 years experience, have completed thousands of foreign credential evaluations since this service became available in 1994 to member institutions, agencies, certification and licensing boards and the public.  Historically, this service dates back to the mid 1960s as a cooperative agreement between AACRAO and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).
Unlike many agencies that employ generalists to do credential evaluations, IES employs evaluators solely for the country-specific expertise that they bring to their work.  Many of these individuals have earned international recognition for their education system knowledge and actively participate at both national and international conferences. Your credentials will be reviewed by one of these evaluators and the resulting report will accurately reflect how your previous education compares to US education.
Q: How can I make change my address, add to my list of recipients, change details about my evaluations, etc?
A: All of this type of information must be in writing which you can either mail or fax. This also includes providing credit card payments which will only be accepted, for your protection, via fax to +1 202-822-3940.
Q: Can I upgrade from a basic statement of comparability to a course by course once my evaluation is completed?
A: Yes, but IES will consider this a new evaluation. This requires completing a new application and paying the full fee at that time. For this reason, it is essential you choose the correct evaluation type from the beginning.
Q: Can I have the documents I submitted to you returned?
A: For legally reason, IES keeps all submitted documents. We are not able to release the documents back to you.
Q: How far in advanced on my deadline date should I apply for an evaluation?
A: In every instance, this process needs to be started as soon as possible, preferably at least six months prior to any stated deadline by the organization to which you plan on submitting a copy of the report. Please review the answer concerning the length of time it takes to complete an evaluation.
Q: Can I get an idea in advance of applying as to what my credentials are comparable to in the U.S. ?
A: No, we cannot provide a preliminary review in advance of an application.
Q: Is my completed evaluation accepted by all colleges and universities, licensing and certification boards?
A: Our evaluations are accepted by over 1,500 colleges, universities, licensing and certification boards and agencies. We recommend you check with the final recipient of your evaluation to ensure it accepts IES evaluations before you submit your application, documents, and payment.
Q: I have additional records which I did not submit at the time of the initial evaluation, what do I do? I have completed additional study after the time of the initial evaluation, what do I do?
A: You will need to apply again and pay for another evaluation. You will also need to comment on the request form that you have had a previous evaluation from IES IES.
Q: The university to which I applied will not accept some (or any) of the credits you evaluated. Why not?
A: The University not accepting your credits is not the same as the University not accepting an IES evaluation. The decision to accept or not accept credits evaluated by IES is entirely up to the university and based on their policies. You need to seek an explanation from the university.
Q: Do you give credit for professional or work experience?
A: No, we only evaluate academic studies.
Q: I asked that a copy of my evaluation be sent to a university but the school says that it has not received a copy. What happened?
A: Colleges and universities receive hundreds of pieces of mail each day and without a specific office or addressee, the copies of your evaluations could spend weeks trying to find the right office on a campus. Several things could cause this delay. One, though you may have indicated that a copy be sent to others, you may have neglected to include payment for extra copies. Two, how specific was the address you provided? You need to give us at least the name of the office to which you want copies sent. Ideally, you the address provided includes an addressee. This is the best way to assure that the copies will reach the correct recipient.
Q: Will IES contact my school(s) to get my records for my evaluation?
A: The only time we will contact your school for records is if the documents or translation you submitted with your application need verification.
Q: What happens if I want to cancel my request for an evaluation?
A: You may cancel your request at any time during the evaluation process, but you will be subject to a $30 cancellation fee. If you request cancellation after the evaluation is completed, even if it has not yet been mailed, you will not receive a refund.
Q: If I only want some of my records evaluated, will you still proceed?
A: No, IES evaluates your complete educational background. Please submit all documents as missing documents will hold up your evaluation process.
Q: I completed my education many years ago. Can you still do an evaluation?
A: Yes.
Q: What happens if it takes me a long time to get the records that you have requested?
A: You have six months to secure records needed to complete your evaluation. After that time, your file will become 'inactive'. In order to reactivate 'inactive' files you will need to pay the evaluation fee again.
Q: My current name is different from the name on my records. What name should I use?
A: You should use your current name on your application. Make sure you also provide us with the name used on the records and proof of your name change.
Q: How do you mail the completed evaluations?
A: Completed evaluations are mailed first class mail. If you want to have it sent by courier service, you will need to provide us with a prepaid envelope. We recommend FedEx.
Q: There are typos (misspellings of names, incorrect dates of birth, etc.) in my evaluation. What do I do?
A: IES does its best to ensure this does not happen. On the chance that it does, please return the evaluation, not a copy, to our office. Include a note stating what is incorrect. We will correct the mistake and resend the evaluation free of charge.
Q: I asked for a course-by-course evaluation but only received a basic statement of comparability. Why?
A: Course-by-course evaluations can only be done for studies that are comparable to university-level study in the United States. If your studies are determined to not be university-level, or if the institution you attended is not recognized in your country, we will only complete a basic statement of comparability, rather than a course-by-course evaluation.